The University of Portsmouth is worth £1.1 billion to the British economy and brings £476 million to the city, an independent assessment has shown.
With over 24,000 students and 2,550 staff, the University is the fourth largest employer in Portsmouth and supports nearly 8% of all jobs in the city.
Our analysis was based on data from 2015/16 and shows that for each person directly employed by the University, it supported five jobs somewhere in the UK.
Some other highlights of the report include:
- The University’s total income was £225 million In 2015/16
- 76 per cent of its income came from tuition fees and education contracts
- The University accounted for around nine per cent of the total economic value generated by the city of Portsmouth
- The University added an estimated £5.5 million to the local visitor economy
- University open days alone generated £1.5 million for the City
For more information, see the press release here.